I still remember about a year ago, I wrote an entry concerning my spiritual state at that moment being comparable to the rich young man mentioned in Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-30 and Luke 18:18-30. But Praise God, I believe I'm now moving on to identify myself with the other disciples rather then the rich young man.
As I was seeking the Lord yesterday morning, the thought dawned upon me concerning the conversion of the disciples as compared to the rich young man. In Matthew 4:19, "Come follow me." Jesus said, " and I will make you fishers of men." 4:20, "at once they left their nets and followed him." Are you seeing the contrast that I saw? The emphasis is on verse 20 when the 2 brothers left all and followed Him. IMMEDAITELY, without hesitation, questioning, they GAVE UP everything. As compared to the ruch young man. After questioning Jesus about goodness and knowing that He is Lord and God, he refused to give up his great wealth to follow Him even after Jesus personally invited him.
The rich young man had failed to recognize that this Jesus is the one that have all. The One that can satisfy a person in every sense, providing in the physical, the comforting in the emotion, truth to guide one's life and most importantly the goodness that he had asked about. He is good. The disciples realizing this forsook all to gain ALL in Christ. Until we do that we can never truely become disciples of our Lord.
Surrendering, giving up, leaving behind to follow Him. Its not easy but I believe that He is calling us as He is calling out to the disciples and the rich young man. COME, FOLLOW ME! We have 2 choices and I've come to choose that which I've not chosen before not seeing the light. I pray that you will see the light and be encouraged to follow as the disciples did instead of the rich young man. HOWEVER bear in mind even if you are not prepared to forsake all, the Lord did say, With God all things are possible! He will not give up on those He have called. =)
He is no fool who give up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment